Feb 6, 2018

JLPT N2 study post-mortem

The results are out: I passed the N2 with a respectable score of 161 out of 180. (Vocab/Grammar: 50, Reading: 60, Listening: 50)

Earlier, I wrote about what study materials I used to tackle each JLPT skill. This follow-up post is about lessons I learned from the final weeks of study:

  • Plan for setbacks.
  • Manage energy and motivation, not just time.
  • Go wide instead of deep.
  • The JLPT mainly tests test-taking!


I started studying "seriously" in mid-September with a 10-week plan, reserving the 11th week as backup. Before beginning the 10-week plan, I had already:
  • Finished Skritter's pre-made N2 kanji set.
  • Read half of the grammar textbook called Try N2. Made flashcards for 20% of the grammar points.
  • Read a novel-length children's book.
  • Attended 3 months of Japanese language school.
  • Lived in Japan for 1.5 years. But only used Japanese minimally (for daily life, not work).

Plan for setbacks

In September, I was all fired up. "I will pass. I'm gonna make it happen!"

My 10-week plan was challenging enough but not overly ambitious. So I thought I could power my way through.

But I didn't count on falling sick. And before sickness knocked me out, Japanese study time was getting whittled down by work, volunteering, and translation practice. Like so:

Week 1 to 3: Sticking steadily to the study schedule.
Week 4: Pressing on but getting tired.
Week 5: Reducing study time in favor of work and the JAT translation contest.
Week 6: Mostly not studying. Busy with volunteering for a conference, regular work, and translation.
Week 7: No time to study, except for Skritter. Exhausted from the conference.
Week 8: Fell sick. Even work takes a hit.

The exam was only 3 weeks away.

I was falling behind, even though I had promised to give top priority to studying and set reasonable weekly goals.

On hindsight, "reasonable" goals still didn't stand in the face of other important priorities. I should have set even lighter weekly goals -- and simply started studying earlier to compensate for the slow progress. That would have provided more margin for setbacks like falling sick.

Manage energy and motivation

After Week 8, I could have chosen to catch up, cram, and try to meet my initial goals. I would have, if I only cared about managing my time better.

But I was lethargic from sickness and busyness. And slightly demotivated from falling behind. I started thinking, "I don't care if I pass or fail."

Thanks to lethargy, I saw I needed to manage my remaining energy -- and what little motivation I had left. So I chose a saner option: to adjust my goals.

Took stock of what I had left to do. "If I could only pick 2 or 3 things to do, which are most strategic?"

In my case, it was to (1) review weak grammar points, e.g. grammar I confuse because they look similar; (2) take a practice test, gauge how much time to spend on each section; (3) practice reading with the Shin-Kanzen Master book; (4) review all grammar flashcards once.

As a result:

Week 9: I pushed through, reluctantly. 
Week 10: Started the Kanzen reading book, settling for just a bit daily. I enjoyed trying a new book (One needs a refreshing change occasionally!) and felt motivated to study again. But stuck to a light quota so I would enjoy the final stretch.
Week 11: Took a mock test. Realized my reading is fine but I need more listening practice. Physically under the weather, but in decent spirits. 

I didn't meet all the goals I set out in September to achieve. But because I chose to adjust my goals and do less, I didn't burn out ultimately.

Go wide rather than deep

Adjusting my goals and choosing to do less forced me to "go wide."

That is, to study strategically rather than be thorough in any one skill.

Examples of studying strategically for the exam (versus, say, seeking language mastery):
  • Doing lots of grammar drills (vs. dwelling on textbook study of grammar points)
  • Trying different types of JLPT questions (vs. practicing one type of question a lot) 
  • Being exposed to lots of new words (vs. researching in-depth the use of each word)
During the final week, I spent no more than 2 hours per day studying:

Daily: Continued Skritter with N1 kanji.
Mon: JLPT mock test. Calculated how much time to spend on each section.
Tues: Visited the test site. Calculated walking time. Bought a cheap wristwatch.
Wed: Reviewed confusing/similar-looking grammar.
Thu: Reviewed all grammar flashcards. Reviewed keigo/kenjougo. Kanzen reading.
Fri: Kanzen listening. Reviewed grammar mistakes from Nihongo Power Drill book. Reviewed onomatopoeia flashcards.
Sat: Tests in Kanzen reading and listening books. Packed for exam day.
Sun: Exam day. Arrived early to enjoy my favorite konbini snacks with a book. No last-minute studying.

The JLPT mainly tests test-taking!

The most useful takeaways from studying were
  • learning to read and answer quickly
  • knowing how much time to spend on each JLPT section
  • familiarity with JLPT-type questions.
More about this in my next post on JLPT test-taking tips.